Have you tried it yet?
The updated software for the Silhouette is now available for download. There is also a version for 64-bit drivers. With this newer version, you have the option to weld both words and shapes together as well as create shadows for your shapes and phrases.
How to weld with the updated Silhouette Software:
You can do one of two things to weld words and shapes:
One way: Highlight the phrase or shape (or both) that you want to weld together and click the button in the upper left hand corner (the middle of the three green buttons). If you look to the right I put a red box around it.
Second way: Highlight what you want to weld, right click and scroll down to weld words in the menu.
Either way, it's a one step process. Watch as the cut lines between letters and shapes disappear and form smooth, continuous cutting lines. I've included a couple examples of my name welded together in these screen shots. My favortie thing to do is weld names or phrases with other shapes as seen here also. We did this a lot for our wall at CHA. It also makes a fun decoration to put above a child's bed or on their door.
Making a shadow (or offsetting) shapes is done by a similar process.
How to offset/ create shadows:
1. Choose a shape or phrase and copy and paste it (it should turn green). Separate the two phrases.
2. Select one of the phrases and click on the green button in the far upper right corner (again I drew a red box around it). You could also do the right click thing and choose Offset Shapes if you prefer.
3. When the Offset window appears, input an offset value (0.10 is generally good but you can experiement).
4. Click Ok. It will take about 2 seconds to create a shadow.
5. Overlap the original shape/phrase with shadow, group it together and voila! It's that easy.
Give it a try and tell me what you think.